Thursday 14 April 2011

Not wanted on the voyage



"Clang clang clang went the trolley, ding ding ding went the bell." Judy Garland Meet me in St Louis.

Well I heard a lot of clang myself when AccessEco BC wanted to take a little trip aboard these lift-fitted vehicles.  First, customer service told me that the city's stopping idling policy did not allow the trolley company to run its lift service. I checked with the city and received an email from the Vancouver Trolley Company President Jim Storie who said it was "news to us here at the trolley company that we are not allowed to use our lifts". So I called the next day ready to tour at my own pace as the website advertises. www.vancouvertrolley.com
Again, I was told the trolley company did not operate the lift.  I explained about the email and was told someone would call me back. That morning I received a call from Lorne Richard, Director of Operations. He told me that they do not operate the lifts because the city gives them tickets for idling too long. He also said it was not safe at all the stops and that many attractions where the trolley stopped were not accessible. I assured him that it was his lucky day and that AccessEco BC was willing to help them work out the kinks. He did not have the heart to say no. Then I received another email from Jim suggesting I call him. I did so and reiterated my offer to assist. We ended the call when Mr.Storie, in frustration blurted out "and then there is the issue of taking 10 minutes to tie down a chair, and they want out after a couple of blocks". What part of hop on, hop off  and tour at your own pace doesn't he get? I assure you this is not the end of it. I may only get to ride in back of the damn bus but I will get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment