Tuesday 10 May 2011

A streetcar named desire



Stella! Frank! Tom ! Jane! Anybody! This is a call to arms. If you have read the posting "Not wanted on the voyage", then you are familiar with the fact that the Vancouver Trolley Company, by not utilizing their wheelchair lifts, is in violation of  the BC Human Rights Code. To learn more about BC Human Rights including how to receive help filing a complaint go to the BC Human Rights Coalition website at http://www.bchrcoalition.org/  Under our law there is a duty to accommodate a person's disability so long as it does not cause undue hardship to the one doing the accommodating .Not Wanted on the Voyage clearly shows that the Trolley Company's definition of |undue hardship| is the time it takes to load and secure a wheelchair or scooter. They also said some other clang about being ticketed by city hall for stopping too long during the loading of wheelchairs. I am investigating this but I doubt it's true. 

The process of filing a complaint is pretty straight forward and I am all ready to apply for a hearing. You have 6 months to file a complaint after an incident unless you can demonstrate good cause for delaying. My incident happened the week of April 12. That gives me until October 12, 2011 to file. It makes no sense to delay; however, I am leaving it up to you.

To tell you the truth I took the touristy trolley trip when I could walk, and although I didn`t buy the t-shirt I have done that. So if you want me or People with Disabilities in general on the trolley I will fight for it. In turn I need to see 500 likes posted on my facebook page by the October deadline. So read it, like it and pass it on. "This may be the last time I don't know" (old gospel protest song)

No comments:

Post a Comment